IRD - 20 January 2012 (Updated 5 February 2013)

Individuals may make a claim for a rebate on an IR526 form for:
  • Donations of $5 or more to an approved charity, including payment of school donations
  • Payment for childcare or a housekeeper (only available for payments made prior to 1 April 2012)

Individuals can claim a 33.3333% rebate for donations, up to a maximum no greater than their annual taxable income.

They may also claim a rebate for childcare and housekeeping costs paid prior to 1 April 2012 of the lesser of:

  • 33% of the total payments made, or
  • $310 ($940 x 33%), or
  • 33% of their taxable income

If you claimed a rebate last year, the IRD will automatically send you a rebate claim form in April. We can take care of the rebate claim for you when we complete your annual tax return.

The childcare and housekeeper tax credit has been removed from 1 April 2012.  The last time you can claim for childcare or a housekeeper will be for payments made in the 2012 tax year (1 April 2011 to 31 March 2012).

Back to Top

All information is correct at the date of article publication. Please note we provide the information as a service only. Accordingly, the contents are not intended as a substitute for specific professional advice and should not be relied upon for that purpose.   

 Back    |    Print this page

We invite you to:


 Join our mailing list

 Bookmark us (hit Ctrl+D)

 Phone us on 09 6233144


We are proud members of the New Zealand Institute of Chartered Accountants. We adhere to their ethics, standards and practices.


We make an annual donation to Auckland Rescue Helicopter Trust in the name of our clients and are recognised as a corporate supporter.